Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Manga Artist / Mangaka

Hehe, I’ve kept my interest for Anime and Manga well and alive all these years through university.

I was introduced to this sort of comic during high school, and I’ve always been amazed at the details and the emotions that the Manga style can bring out. I’ve always been drawing some of my own doujins since then.

This job would require me to tell powerful stories through my art. I would need to design visual storyboards fluid and strong enough to inspire my readers, or at least, to entertain them.

I’m pretty confident that career prospects as a Manga-ka (Manga Artist) are looking up in Malaysia - there are many magazines that showcase local artists nowadays. One of my favorites would be Gempak! (Click on title to go to the website)

Gempak

I still remember a time where this magazine looked just like the other Bahasa Melayu mags out there – not that I’ve something against it, but it just isn’t my cup of tea.

This mag was one of the pioneers that pushed the Manga style; hence one of the first few tastes of Malaysian – geared Manga. It has, alongside some great comics, news on the latest movies, animation, comics and gossip out there.

It has been growing from strength to strength, providing a platform for local artists to produce and distribute their own graphic novels.

One of them, Ben, even received international acclaim for his graphic novel, Le Gardenie.

And now, Ben, has struck out on his own and is publishing his own Magazine, called Powder

I’m anxious to see how this all develops over the next few years. One day, we young Malaysian Mangakas might even be good enough that anyone would recognize our work at first look! Ganbatte! (Let’s keep it up!)

No comments: